Friday, December 18, 2009

Journal Entry 4 - Sherlyn Aldas

Today I went to the Audubon Clinic where I was going to meet Emelin. It was pretty slow at first since there were only a couple of infants and most of the children were sleeping. Later on some kids came in but I found it hard since usually one of the foster grandparents is there to help me out but it turns out that one of them left early so I was on my own. However, in a couple of minutes a bunch of kids came and began to play so it was difficult to get them to stray from there. Luckily, Emelin came by to see me and helped me out by saying I should ask a kid first if they are interested in reading. I began to read a book to a little boy who had to leave because he was going to get checked and weighed in. Emelin then called me to go read to this little girl a story. The story was in Spanish so it wasn’t that difficult but I won’t pretend I didn’t have my clumsy moments, such as stumbling upon long words since it has been a while that I read out loud in Spanish (3 years ago to be exact). However, I am pleased to say that she enjoyed the story and kept asking me to read until she got called in to see the doctor. After discussing a couple of things with Emelin, she left and once again I was alone. Then a mother came in with her two children and asked me to read to them. She was there too so I was a bit nervous since I was scared how I would seem pronouncing words and the tone of my voice. She seemed to enjoy the stories; she laughed and asked her kids what they thought about them. One of them didn’t enjoy the ending to Henny Penny since the hen and her poultry friends end up being gobbled up by a tricky fox. I didn’t know how to avert that situation so I learned that I must be able to think more quickly off my feet. Overall this week was very enjoyable and I hope to experience the joy I get from entertaining the kids with stories.

Share/Save/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Cool!! I feel the same way while reading spanish out loud, its kind of hard since you speak it but not actually read it. It is weird as well, the tone of your voice changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that story is so cute( Henny Penny) I remember my first grade teacher reading it aloud to the class during story telling time. Oh good times that I had at the time.
    I also have clumsy moments while reading spanish at times. We just need more practice. Nice entry Sheryln! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its great your kids love to read not color all the time. I must ask, wat do u do when theres is no kids around to read to? or if the kid dont want to be read to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sherlyn,

    It's great that you were able to use your Spanish skills to communicate to one of the kids. That's very valuable.

    It's impressive that you identified some anxiety about reading in front of a parent, but were still able to work through it.

    Awesome Job!

    ReplyDelete