Friday, December 4, 2009

Journal Entry 2 - Zaire Smalls

This week at my site I was told to approve MedicAid and presumptive insurance applications. To do this, I went into EPIC, the electronic medical records system, to look them up, put in a chief complaint and a follow up note. Even though the EPIC training was easy and I remembered everything I had heard, I began to get frustrated because the technology was not agreeing with me but in the end I figured things out with a little reminder. As easy as EPIC looks, it is actually quite difficult. If you are searching for a patient name in the wrong spot, you won't find it even though it is all there. This is same with patient records and encounters. However, after this, I got a better sense of how to work EPIC and will complete my work this week much faster.
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. Computer systems can be very tough and frustrating. I find that it helps to keep in mind the positive parts of what you are doing in order to get through the more tedious parts. Imagine things before EPIC - all those paper records that had to be sent from one office to the next! You are doing a great job Zaire. Could you please tell us a bit about what the purpose of EPIC is? It is quite new and I think your peers would love to know a bit more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very interesting, EPIC will definely make a patients life esier allowing them to spend more time with their doctor than with the papper work.However EPIC is new to many clinics and the process to adapt to it may not be so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooppsss!!!I just notice that I may of confuse EMR with EPIC. Zaire what is EPIC anyways?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Zaire, it seems like you are learning a lot. Now that you know how to use EPIC, i guess you are going to help me get insurance.LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes faity! i will haha. Anyways epic is the electronic medical records system that clinics and doctors offices are slowly but surely transfering all there records ove to. It's very new to the health care world but it very useful to all health workers. I have o idea what EMR is but ok.haha. THank you guys fr your comments.

    ReplyDelete