Monday, January 4, 2010

Writing Workshop - Khmran Malik

As January is National Mentoring Month, we will be devoting many of our Writing Workshops to mentors. As gaining as much information on our mentors' education, life experiences and background that lead to their chosen career is an important part of the mentoring process, students will shape their work around these issues.

Exercise: Journal Entry on Mentor Placement.

Journal Entry: Journal writing is primarily done drawing on an individual's personal experiences. However, it can also draw on articles, situations and events that affect or provoke a response from you. Journal entries can also be written in many different forms, including an unsent letter. An unsent letter can be a great way to reflect on the purpose of seemingly mundane, everyday chores (Writer's INC, 2001).

Khmran has written an unsent letter to his mentor doing just that. The aim is for this to help him uncover what he would like to ask his mentor during the next few visits.

"Dear Mary,

My recent experiences at the hospital have been very fun and are chances for me to learn how a hospital works. I have learned that you always knock before you enter a patient's room as well as give your name. Speaking with respect to patients even if they are not respecting you is very important. I also learned that beginning on time is very important for both yourself and staff. I was surprised to find out that the nurses have their own list of patients to look after. I thought the nurse's could look after anyone. I was also surprised to see that there were so many lists of patients that change hour to hour, day to day. I wonder if the patents have to have a surgery or something done to them even if they don't want to. Do you have to do it? I hope these experiences will help me pursue my dream of becoming a Physician's Assistant or Occupational Therapist. I wish these moments will help me in the future, working in a hospital.

Thank you,

Khmran"
Share/Save/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Khmran,

    I am happy to see you are very aware of your surroundings at the hospital. You are learning valuable lessons!

    Francisco

    ReplyDelete
  2. Khmran, it seems like you are expanding your knowledge!!It sounds like you like your placement!

    ReplyDelete