Monday, January 25, 2010

Mentor Informational Interview - Zaire Smalls

This is an informational interview between Mentor Connection student, Zaire Smalls and her mentor, Lauren Kershinover, LMSW. Ms. Kershinover is a licensed social worker and the coordinator for the Single Stop Program at the Institute for Family Health.

Zaire: What is your official title?

Lauren: I am an LMSW and the Single Stop Program Coordinator. Single Stop is a case management program that we received a grant for.

Zaire: What were your goals when you were 17?

Lauren: My goals were to go to college and become a social worker so I could provide therapy for children.

Zaire: Have your goals remained the same?

Lauren: No, they are currently to expand the Single Stop Program and to try to make changes with health care reform and help as many patients as possible.

Zaire: Why did you choose to pursue your career/goals?

Lauren: I felt that it was my calling and that I have always had a gift of being in tune with peoples' needs.

Zaire: What books or movies have influenced your career choice?

Lauren: Elie Wiesley's "Night," a book about the Holocaust and Ann Franks Diary inspired me to get involved with social change. The Color Purple and Bastard Out of Carolina also inspired me.

Zaire: What qualifications, experiences or work did you complete before university?

Lauren: I was a peer leader helping athletes. I did peer education mediation for youth who were athletes.

Zaire: What University did you go to?

Lauren: SUNY New Paltz for my BA and SUNY Albany for my Masters.

Zaire: How many years of higher education do you have?

Lauren: 6 1/2 years.

Zaire: Was tuition an obstacle? What advice can you give me on this subject?

Lauren: You should apply for scholarships, financial aid and loans. I did a work study and had a part time job.

Zaire: What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Lauren: My strengths are my compassion and passion for my job. My weakness is that I can't say no.

Zaire: Who is your hero?

Lauren: It is not one specific person but a type of person: someone who addresses injustice and who is giving.

Zaire: Who do you take advice from?

Lauren: Friends, family, colleagues and therapist.

Zaire: Have you had any personal or professional mentors?

Lauren: My women's studies professor and another professor who was a physiologist who worked with homeless youth in San Francisco. A clinical supervisor upstate is also a mentor.

Zaire: What overall advice do you have for me in terms of the career I would like to pursue?

Lauren: Do something you feel passionate about and love. Make sure you take care of yourself in this field.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment