Monday, January 25, 2010

Mentor Informational Interview - Sherlyn Aldas















This is an informational interview between Mentor Connection student, Sherlyn Aldas and her mentor, Emelin Martinez. Ms. Martinez is the Reach out and Read coordinator at NY Presbyterian hospital.

Sherlyn: What is your official title?

Emelin: Reach Out and Read Coordinator.

Sherlyn: What were your goals when you were 16?

Emelin: My goals were to graduate high school, go to college and get my first car!

Sherlyn: Have the goals stayed the same throughout your life?

Emelin: No, they have changed.

Sherlyn: What are your current goals?

Emelin: Well now I want to go back to college and get a Masters degree in social work and start a community pre-school.

Sherlyn: Why did you choose to pursue your goals/career?

Emelin: I like to help children, especially those who are underprivileged.

Sherlyn: What books or movies have influenced your career goals and choice?

Emelin: The Purpose Driven Life.

Sherlyn: What qualifications, courses, experiences or work did you do before going to University?

Emelin: I worked at a pre-school for two years and I also worked in a camp.

Sherlyn: What university did you go to?

Emelin: Fort Lauderdale College for pre-law and I got a Bachelors in Human Services at St. Thomas University.

Sherlyn: How many years have you been in school after high school?

Emelin: 6 years.

Sherlyn: Was tuition an obstacle? What advice can you give me on this?

Emelin: It was hard to get financial aid. Do not get a student loan unless absolutely necessary and be sure to look for scholarships.

Sherlyn: How do you handle obstacles/roadblocks?

Emelin: I face my problems head on and find a solution or an alternative. I also pray to God to help me.

Sherlyn: Did you have to confront any obstacles to become what you are today?

Emelin: Not really.

Sherlyn: What are your strengths and weaknesses?

Emelin: My strength is that I am cooperative, empathizing, organized, compassionate and persistent. My weakness is that I am a perfectionist and very sentimental.

Sherlyn: Who is your hero?

Emelin: Jesus Christ.

Sherlyn: Who do you listen to? Who do you accept advise from?

Emelin: My mom or anyone who is an expert in the situation I need help in. It varies.

Sherlyn: Do you have personal or professional mentors?

Emelin: My personal mentor when I was in high school was Shermaine Brown, who i worked in the pre-school with.

Sherlyn: What overall advice do you have for me in terms of the career I want to pursue?

Emelin: Make sure your career is something you love, that you would do for free. That is how you know you love it. Find what you are passionate about and enjoy, no matter what obstacles come along.
Share/Save/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. The last answer is funny but at the same time its true. You have to find a career that you will enjoy very much that, you can even complet it free.

    ReplyDelete