Monday, November 23, 2009

Journal Entry 1 - Zaire Smalls (11/23/09)

This week at my internship has been very interesting. I did a lot of paperwork, which was pleasant and helpful to everyone in the office. In addition, on Thursday, November 19, I started shadowing Lauren, my supervisor, in case management.

Case Management is when a social worker helps a patient get the social services that they need. During the two cases I sat through, I observed Lauren at work. The first woman just needed MedicAid, which is one of the main focuses of Lauren's cases. The 2nd woman needed all the services she could get because she lost her job after moving into a new apartment. This touched me and I wish there was more I could have done. I learned to deal with each case depending on the circumstance of the patient's income, immigration status, papers, etc. This was my first experience with case management.
Share/Save/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. Good job Zaire. Keep on learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Zaire! I'm just curious how you stay "behind the scenes" when Lauren is interviewing clients. It must be quite a line to tread, observing while remaining respectful to the client's privacy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It nice to know you enjoy helping others in the office. Did you like your first experince in case management?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stay behind the scenes by acting as if im not there.I sit in the rooom and listen,I haven't really gone over the guidelines as to if im allowed to comment and what im allowed to sayso untill then I dont say a word untill the patient leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes i did like my first experince in case mangement its not the most lively thing but it holds alot of purppose.

    ReplyDelete