Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Journal Entry 1 - Faith Fordjour (11/24/09)

I started my volunteering on Thursday the 19th of November. For my first day, I had to get my picture taken and get my volunteer ID. My mentor, Sonia Lugo, explained to me what I have to do. My first task on the job was to read to this girl. She reminded me of one of my preschool students from last year. She was so easy to work with. It's a shame I forgot her name. I read her a couple books and she had to go. I found out on Monday that the girl was very shy and it was shocking that she was so free with me.


Friday, which was my second day, was a bit slow at Mount Sinai so I just played games with the kids that were there. Monday was like the official start date. I had my orientation which was me getting to know the floor that I was on. Sonia told me what I have to do when I come in, where to go and the things I can do if there are no kids around to read to. After that I grabbed a couple books and went off to start. For some reason I was a little nervous. I have worked with kids before but I guess having the parents around was what made me nervous. I met this little girl who was probably 4 or 5. Her name was Justine. I sat with her and read to her all the books I had. They was Maicy's Book, The Old Lady who Swallowed a Fly, Goodnight Mood and I forgot the other two books. After i read all the books I went off to find another child. There was this girl doing her homework but she was struggling with one question. I explained it to her, what she can do to make it easy and she did everything by herself. Oh, and I have to read to infants which is different. What I like most is that I get to interact with the kids more than other placements.
Share/Save/Bookmark

7 comments:

  1. Awesome Faith! It's really great to know how well you interact with the kids. Where does the hospital get all the books from? Do the kids get to take the books home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes there are many books that are given out to the kids. The doctors give some books out and i can give out a book if i realize that a kid love that book,unlike the books the doctors give out,but they have to return the book i give them.The govenment provide the books, but anybody can also donate books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the government provide most of the books, but the rest are books donated by people. yes, the book are ment to be given out to the kids. The books given to de kids by the doctors are theirs to keep, but the books the other volunteers or i give out, they have to return the books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the hospital get the majority of the books from the govenment, but the rest are donations from people. The books given by the donctors are the kids to keep, but the books given by the other volunteers or i the kids have to return them on their next visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can I donate books for the kids?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faith it seems like you're having fun!In what manner did you explain the little children how to read out loud a word? Was it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is for Khmran. i have to ask sonia first to see if you can. This for Ivonn. Yes i do have fun. I read to them but i have to catch their attension by making voices and asking questions about the pictures. If they want to read, they can read it any way they want.

    ReplyDelete